Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Color Me Red & Black

Belatedly, here's a UFO that was (too) long in the making. Happily, it finally reached it's home this summer--& I thought it would be a good example of how some projects come together.
Quite some time ago I began to gather unique pieces for a red & black project--no special intent; I just liked them. It started with acquiring a Merimekko print I really liked (and on sale! What could be better?!) I've had a forty year love for Merimekko designs & thought they were no longer being produced until I accidentally stumbled across a little shop near Pike Place Market (Seattle) that sells a small but great collection. Turns out they've been produced all along, but US consumers kind of 'lost interest' for them so we went a long time without seeing them much. They didn't ask me! 8-)
When visiting Mike & Lynn's new island condo, which had a mostly white palette with some black & red accents, I got inspired! The red & black would be something to add to their nice big walls as a house warming gift! (Little did I know that they would be long-settled before I was able to hand it over...)
Besides the Merimekko piece, I had acquired three other great red & black bargain pieces --so this is what I started with:
The next step was to audition a wide variety of other pieces that might be good complements or contrasts with these anchor pieces. For me, that part of the process can get pretty carried away: many fabric drawers open, pulling anything that might be a possible cast member. It usually gets pretty wild & messy--but I want to think big, think inclusive, for that part.
Once all of the possibilities I can identify are out 'on the table' (or on the design wall...) I start to look for good combinations--and conversely for sore thumbs that might be great, but not necessarily for this project. The narrowing down starts. The picture below is about half-way along the weeding out process. (I got so caught up in the fun, I forgot to take pix when everything was up!) By the end of this phase, there is a 'for-sure-will-use' pile, a 'might-be-great-to-add' pile, and a 'doubtful-but-don't-put-them-away-yet' pile. Still pretty messy...

Then the 'putting it together' process starts. I tend to draw only one or two quick sketches--I'm not a methodical planner or drafter at the outset. I have a general notion in my mind's eye, but I also like to let the piece shape itself as it progresses--not be really set on what I think it should be. That can be good & bad. The good part is: almost every time, I end up adding elements I would not have thought of beforehand. The bad part is: I can sometimes get hung up on technical aspects; how do I pull off this little idea? (That can turn out to be a good thing, though, as I have to stretch my skill level a little more each time...)
Things start to take shape--first with smaller elements & then tying them into the larger piece.

That very linear (horizontal,vertical) begins to bother me--too much. So the little regimented squares & rectangles become more casually placed & uneven in size.


What started as a worry about being too wide & short later becomes a worry about maybe too tall & square! (this is a big piece--over 50" both ways at the moment) Other worries keep cropping up:
The central piece should be showcased, but not simply framed top & bottom.
The central piece should be cut down, but not too much.
 It's awfully red!
It's awfully big!! 
On & on... but gotta keep moving. Don't get paralyzed!
Once the piece is together, it's off to the long arm studio. My quilter friend made a great suggestion: use a very lightweight poly bat (not something I prefer for most pieces). It's whisper light-weight but adds so much depth. The non-quilted sections stand out remarkably with a faux trapunto appearance.
Now for the embellishments (beads & some fabricated baubles), then stretched on a wooden frame for canvases, & viola--ready to hang! Finishes out at 48 x 52. Here's a photo in it's new surrounds! (as ever, you can click on the picture for a better view...) It arrived just in time to help tip the scales for a choice of color to paint the wall--& I think was well received. Finishing is bliss...!

2 comments:

newly dimmed said...

wow. beautiful! but we are waiting to hear about your trip--where'd ya go in Penna? alos--i have a new dimmer. the old one was stripped so the whole thing had to be replaced...

boo'-key said...

recall the Red & Black bookstore and cafe? Capitol Hill. xxo, buchy