Saturday, May 12, 2012

My Delightful 'New' Space!

Another item that got me off my organizational track--but was well worth it: the long-planned 'studio' reconfiguration finally happened! My dear, sweet 'better half' gifted me with made-to-order cabinets that we've pondered for quite some time. I was thrilled they were actually appearing! I had been scheming & planning how to rearrange for over a year.
Then last fall, I took a half-day class with Lois Hallock which was well worth it. Lois has great tips, tricks, & facts to help--& she suggests coming up with at least six different floor plan layouts before you settle on THE one. (that's not easy!)
By the time the cabinets were in progress, I was pretty clear how I wanted things to go. In the end--there were only two minor surprises that I'd not considered & they were easily resolved; I thought that was reasonable!
flat folds at eye level

I knew it would take some time to make the transition--but as usual I under estimated! Good for me: I planned the move for spring break to be sure I had time.
It took almost two full days just to organize fabric--I think I touched almost everything in my stash except the scrap bins.  My overflowing drawers & containers were rearranged into flat folds & fat quarter containers.
Lois is a proponent of flat folding anything over about a half yard. When I took the class, I wasn't convinced--but I am now! It looks nice, it's easily usable, & harder to lose track of things.
10 boxes of fat quarters
after the 'big sort'
I found some well made cardboard containers for my fat quarters that fit nicely into the open space I requested in the cabinets.
Now everything is near at hand, project boxes & other larger supplies are stowed in the cabinets out of sight, and the drawers in my cutting table (that used to be bursting with fabric) are filled with all my other art & embellishment supplies.
My design wall is now able to be expanded easily when needed--& I have my closet 'back'! (it used to be behind the design wall--it was usable but not handy). I made a special top for a counter height shelving unit I hadn't been using & now it's a perfect ironing center. The ironing board only has to come out for big projects!
I have room for my sweetie to join me for a movie if he wants, & I can even have a friend over for a sew play day. 8-)
Mr Creative put the doors on the cabinets just last week--so the camouflage is complete! Only things left: I'm snooping for some interesting door handles & I'm hoping to give the 'guest' chair a bright & funky face lift this summer. The cabinet doors won't likely stay pristine white--they seem to be calling for some small projects on display...or a mural, or...but that's a project for another day!
I didn't really have 'before' photos (didn't think of it in time) that tell the story--so you'll just have to believe me:  this is a huge improvement! I just love to go in there & sit--and it's been so much fun to work in (although I've not had as much time as usual lately!).
There is plenty of room to grow & still stay organized. Heaven!!

2 comments:

purrball said...

But whereare the cats? xo, jb

Anonymous said...

This looks great, Judy! I'm digging into my space, too. Nancy