Friday, March 4, 2011

Round Robin Update - the next installment

I'm nearly caught up on my monthly Round Robin projects--and good thing, too, as there are only two remaining after these two.

(Reminders: each has a 'before' & 'after' view, and any can be larger if you click on the photo.)

Kathy has a nice eye for traditional quilting & embroidery, so for her project she started with the nicely embroidered red work strawberries.



Remember the little pinwheels I was in the midst of?
Well here they are, completed and in the newest border, along with a great red & black batik that blended nicely with the previous addition. This piece is getting fairly large--it was over 50 inches when it went on it's way. One more person needs to do her magic before it comes back to Kathy. She thinks this will make a nice table-topper when it's finished--I agree! (I also hope those white/light corners have more embroidery added--but by a braver soul than I!)

When I got the pictures ready for this post, I realized the similarities in these two pieces with the flying geese around the square on point.  I had not really 'seen' that until now, as these two are so different from one another!

This is Lynn's--and started with her lovely appliquéd ginkgo in Asian prints. It, too, has only one other player yet to make an addition after mine, and is also getting fairly large--it's just under 50 inches. This piece has some really interesting embellishments including beading on the center flowers, painted ginkgo on the silk border near the middle, and some little rhinestone flip-flops added near the green triangles!


I really like all of the individual items--but something about the color combination puts me off a little. Is it just me?  I think it's because the purple silk 'reads' almost pink from a distance & then some of the painted ginkgo are very bright (shamrock) green. It has some lovely attributes, though, and Lynn will finish it beautifully when she gets it back.  Anyway, I added only a top & bottom border--don't ask me why! It needed a little more detail after those nice expansive stripped borders were added, so I tried to replicate the 'on point' look of the center piece. Asian fabrics are so fun to work with, and the purple/green combination is delightful.  It's now heading to it's last contributor before it returns to it's rightful owner.

1 comment:

Nancy said...

Judy - The red and white pinwheel border is GREAT.