Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Round Robin Update - the nearly last installment

Down to the final lap on the Round Robin projects--finish the last two, and then receive mine back with all of it's additions.

this is the 'before' shot--don't you love
the various embellishments?
This project belongs to my buddy, and often roommate at retreats, Kate. She started with an ethereal photo transfer of a statue she saw in Sedona, when on a very heartfelt get-away with her sisters following the loss of their parents--truly a sentimental piece.
There is only one more person after me, so there have been eight hands on this little gem.  You could have called it complete on arrival, couldn't you? (The great red lizard had just been added before I got the project box!)
After much thinking, I added those elements I most loved when I lived in Arizona:  the many colors of the sky--with the ravens on the wing--and the melting of the sky into the amazing landscape of so many colors.  Of course, I had to go with something a little less linear, so in went the curvy piecing, along with the First American influence of shapes & textiles. (Or at least that was my intention!).
Right up until packing it in the box & sending it along I debated over the blues--pretty risking move, which Kate may not like.  Also a bit on the busy side, but the piece holds up well, I think.  It's a little over 2 ft. tall now, so will make a lovely wall hanging for Kate's studio.  Bye for now, Mr. Wiseman...

The final project for me in this Round Robin journey was Juliann's sea-life homage.  It started out with her center block fish--which I love.  It's full of color & texture & character.  When it first started making the rounds, I wasn't sure where it was going--or if I would like it--but it's really quite fun!  There are so many surprises (little & big) included!  Don't you love the translucent jellyfish?! I added the left & upper borders--with aquatic colors & the great orange added previously.  I came across a piece of undersea print that seemed a perfect addition to the mix. I think Juliann will have a lot of fun  finishing this one up--and the size will make a nice wall hanging (about 3' x 4'). It's got some great embellishments & she'll likely add more.
 So all of the projects will soon be home to their owners--mine included!

3 comments:

visiotr in 2010 said...

wait a minute. were these the started projects that i saw last August? and now they are ending? j

Judith said...

That's right--I forgot that you saw them in their infancy! 8-)

a visitor said...

say hi to the gang--work well done from a virtual viewpoint! wow. j