Saturday, March 3, 2012

Is Finishing Binding Just LIke Doing the Dishes?!

I hate binding. Have I said that before?! (of course I have!)
Besides the fact that there's seldom a single creative aspect to the process, it's just boring.
And as the very last step in the finishing process (usually) the project is officially over when the binding's done---but usually I'm so over the piece by then & ready to move on (..oh what am I saying: I have moved on!)  I can hardly finish the task.
Alas, there lies the reason the 'binding basket' is seldom empty. Remember when you had a 'mending basket'? (you probably still do! I have a mending bin--a true black hole--that sucks the item in, never to be seen again!) Well anyway, I have a binding basket--it's a quick place to grab something to do when I there's a short time to do something--like after work etc. Those poor little unbound waifs look pretty while they're waiting--& they're not buried somewhere they'll be forgotten.
So, bargain-with-self for those four unexpected snow days at home in January--alone--was to complete at least one binding project per day. I did alright!
So here's a little show & tell:


'Member this quilt? The top was a sample for the store earlier last year.
When I went to my friend's long arm studio in December I got it quilted--and now it's bound!
Nice size:
about 54" x 70".






This bright one was a result of winning the block of the month at the Quilters on the Rock guild meeting many moons ago.
The blocks sat in a box patiently waiting until I finally took them to retreat last year. I made more blocks & finished the top. This one also got quilted when I went to my friend's long arm studio--and now it's bound, too!

It's 60"x60"--a good size for a community quilt. So next month it will go to the guild meeting--on it's way to a new home.
I also finished up two more runners awaiting binding. 

One of them immediately became a national traveler, & headed to Chicago before the month was up. How fun!

3 comments:

Amy said...

Hey, I recognize that table runner! It's currently the main attraction on our table and we love it!

binding be or Bee? said...

Do you want me to sell your table runenrs in Gretna? I do recognize the red pointsettia type of flower aroung the 2nd quilt - I have that here from you too. It looks like you are getting unbound without chemicals other than maybe lots of caffeine? That's do it for many! Miss you, xxo, j

under the hood said...

guess what? i ahd to vacate my school office (renovations) & i found the pretty blue hood on the back of my door under coats. so you did send it/give it. i forgot. mea culpa. :>* j