Friday, May 14, 2010

UFO's--That Pesky List

It's been quite some time since the issue of UFO's came up, with help from my quilt guild. Thirty months to be exact. *sigh* I thought it would be a helpful to reminder to see what's been done & my batting average so far (no pun intended!). You likely remember that UFO=unfinished objects.
2008 UFO list had 41items listed. By year end I finished 8 (not quite 20%...).
2009 UFO list had 40 items listed (because you see, it's not simply carrying the 'old' list forward. For all of the reasons identified, new UFO's accumulate while you're sleeping!
By year end I finished 8 more (exactly 20%).
The 2010 UFO list has 40 items listed. 18 weeks into the year, I've completed 11 with several more very close. (Amazing what happens when you're not working 60-80 hours a week at a 'real' job!)
It's important to note that I found four unaccounted for UFO's last year that were added to this year's list--and this year I've found two more (that won't show up until next year!).
One thing I've not done is keep track of the number of projects that never made it to a UFO list in the first place. There are not alot, but they are important, too. (Can you say positive reinforcement?) They don't become UFO's because they are planned, started, & completed during the same year. Woohoo!

It's worth noting that the number of UFO's completed by the group in almost 2 1/2 years is staggering. I don't know a number, but they are the majority of show & tell items and easily could be 20-30 items a month! Way to go, guys! It is also worth noting that a few members have never participated. Why? Because they conceive, plan, start & complete one project at a time. Never more than one thing going at a time. I'm sure they have as many problems understanding someone with a list like mine, as I have understanding how they can be so completely single minded in their focus!

All in all, a beneficial undertaking--and I can't tell you how many great laughs we've had at the monthly meetings over UFO's. I may have more items--but some people have items way older than mine. You forget how much fabric styles & color choices have changed until someone drags in an item circa 1970's--oh lordy, cover your eyes!
Besides the feeling of accomplishment as things are checked off the list, it has also helped with one of my other annual goals of using up fabric on hand & refraining from buying new. I will never be able to say 'I don't buy fabric'. I can say--for almost two years, I've almost exclusively purchased only 'gotta do's' for a project assigned to me, or bargain sale items. It's become almost a game with myself--although I fall off the wagon now & then when some batik fat quarters just jump into my bag! Then you have to start all over:
"Hello, my name is Judy & it's been 30 days since I've purchased new, full price fabric..."
"Hi, Judy..."
For those of you non-fabric people out there: one of the major impacts of the bad economy has been the jump in yardage prices. It's difficult to find anything less than $9/yard and prize items are now more like $10-$12/yard (we're talking cotton, not other exotica). Hiking prices have helped keep me focused on the 'sale' approach If you pay attention, you can come up with great finds for $4-$5/yard!. Anyway, the works in progress continue. By year end we'll see where I am, as I make up the 2011 list!

No comments: