Saturday, October 2, 2010

Goodnight, Irene

Today is my Auntie Rene's funeral--which unfortunately I can't attend. She had a rich, full life & was engaged right up to the end of her 95 years (actually only a month shy of her 96th).  Remarkable!
Correction made--I was a year off! 
Although my heart is sad, I've had many warm thoughts this week of her 'welcoming' by all of the brothers (dad included) who have gone before her. We've been lucky to have them in our midst. This spring, while we were gathering photos for Mom's party, I rediscovered one of my favorite photos in the family archives.
Carl, Polly, Elsie (cousin), Irene
The caption on the back says:
"Aug 19, '35 Starting from Uncle Ray's. The beginning of a long drive." And it was--a long road trip down the Columbia Gorge to Oregon City & back.  Don't they look great?!  (Check out the 'driving gloves' on my dad!) What an adventure for the foursome! I loved this picture as a child--they looked so young & stylish & full of fun.  And in a rumble-seat, no less!  The story of this adventure was only one in a sea of many--all of which I loved to hear, over & over again.  
Bye, Rene--travel safely & with love on this road trip.  (...and have a blast!)

No comments: