Thursday, May 19, 2011

A Picture Paints a Thousand Words...

One of the things about being an 'artist-wanna-be' is the opportunity to be blown away by the creativity of others regularly. I think the 'wanna-be' part leaves you more vulnerable.  Does that happen to you?
Sometimes when that happens, you say to yourself; "wow, what a brilliant idea--how come I never thought of that?!" (It's so obvious, now that you've shown me!)
 Sometimes it's, "wow, I really like that concept, but I would do it differently"--and occasionally I do use the idea for a 'creative step' to something completely different.
Many times, though, it's "wow, what a brilliant idea--and applied so well; I could never come close to that!" In those cases, most often the concept is so creative, it is truly unique; it stands alone.

That was certainly the reaction to seeing Ohio artist, John Sokol and his word portraits ('sketching' the person in their own words). Wow! (and maybe because he chose some of my favorites to depict...)

I must also give credit to the Amusing Planet  site which took me to the word portraits in the first place--and so many other wonderful wanderings over the months.
Thank you to both!

1 comment:

Laila said...

Wow, this is amazing and your post are so well written too. have to save your adress to have a closer look later on.