Friday, December 26, 2008

In Memorium

Another amazing woman--a true pioneer & role breaker for all of us--passed away yesterday. As long as I can remember, Eartha Kitt was so vital, so positive, so sensual. She was open about the challenges of being a mixed-race child of a single mother but never bitter (at least publicly) or apologetic. At the time, I was a bit disdainful of her taking the Cat Woman part on Batman (the series), but in hindsight--it must have been a hoot, and a risky, bold thing to do. She will always trump Madonna on 'Santa Baby' in my book!
And it sadly is a season for paying honor, as Harold Pinter also passed away this week. Also such an influence on my generation--not just as a playwright, writer, but an activist willing to speak his mind. I'm so glad that he received the Nobel while he could still revel in the fact that he was respected & admired on a grand scale.

No comments: