Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Odetta

I was saddened to hear today of Odetta's death yesterday. She was such an influence on me--and many/most of us. If there is any blessing: she performed right up to the end, she shared with us every minute she could. What an incredible woman. "It was in those songs I could get my fury and anger and hate out," Odetta said in a 2005 interview. "When I was that furious and singing, it was overpowering. But in singing through those emotions, it really did heal me." Pete Seeger & Harry Belafonte helped her get her start--and one of her first 'causes' was to work on freeing the Rosenburgs. She had released an album recently, and I heard her interviewed not long ago on NPR. She was still so vital, so resolute, so committed. She certainly will live on in our actions & our hearts.

No comments: