Monday, September 6, 2010

Bowling

In the midst of many work days, the waning days of summer 'vacation' before the new work world starts, & several fun family events--I took a detour into bowl making!
I've periodically been intrigued by the process & often thought I would try it one day--and then:  there was a book sitting on the library shelf asking to be checked out!  (Fast, Fun & Easy Fabric Bowls by Linda Johansen) Just had to take it home & try it...
Anyway, I'm stopping at nine!  I gave two away & here are the other seven.  They're 'reversible' so they're pictured turned both ways.  I guess you could say they are quilted as they're made as a 'sandwich'; either a rigid inner layer or a softer (canvas) one.

How fun is that?!
Remember that pile on my floor that was a flash-of-a-project while I was in the middle of something else?  Well this was the outcome of that pile that got me sidetracked!  I think I have the technique down now--so am getting back to other tasks at hand.  Next time I think I'll try boxes, which the author moved on to in later editions.
One reason that I thought this would be worth trying is the idea that's been in the back of my head for awhile--doing something in collaboration with Jim's wooden bowls.  Wouldn't it be interesting to try one of these to fit one?  (I'm eying the occasional reject he's not happy with & thinking a new lease on life might be better than the burn pile!)

1 comment:

named by JB said...

Bags for Bowls