Friday, September 17, 2010

Week One is Wrapping Up

It's really been a great 'first week' of work, all things considered.  So many new things to learn, faces & names to retain (and the students aren't here yet!), culture exposure, etc.  Everyone has been surprisingly nice & helpful with only a few minor exceptions.  Quite welcoming.
Everything is new--whether it's where to find the 'right' bathroom or the emergency procedures.  New hire paperwork, parking stickers, photo ID's, where to find student services, which are the texts for this quarter vs. the next... on & on.  Then to notch it up just a bit--there were three days of time with staff from both campuses together (not a common experience the rest of the year) so there have been exponentially more faces, degree tracts, programs, etc.  It's been a nice way to get a feel for the philosophy & personality of the organization.
Commitment is pervasive with a capital C--and little evidence of burn-out or undue cynicism (that's a relief!).  I thought I would share a video that was included in the President's remarks on the first day--the remainder of remarks were serious, compelling & challenging--but anyone that can share the stage with Father Guido earns extra credit from me!
Thankfully, there is an obvious strong desire to give staff & students a hand-up to success--especially if you're 'new'.  Everytime I had the beginning of a thought about being overwhelmed, I had only to think of another full-time new faculty person that has just arrived with his family from Beijing (yes, that would be China) for a year of teaching.  How could I possibly think I'm overwhelmed by the culture shift?  He was so endearing & excited--and anxious to adapt!  So--I just take a deep breath, tell myself it could be worse, 'don't sweat the small stuff', & move on to the next task at hand.
I'll keep you posted as to my seeming resilience after next week comes & goes.  Seventy new students will be darkening the door (soon to be followed by forty more in a month!).
Stay tuned! Wha-hoo!!

1 comment:

Zach said...

I'm excited for your new occupation! I love your blog by the way, and my blanket. I sleep with it every night and cherish it every time I see it.

What a wonderful gift you gave me! I'll always remember your thoughtfulness and kindness.

Lots of love,

Zach