Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Farewell to Summer Reading


My year of pleasure reading is winding down as the school term is looming ahead--I hope to keep it up but I'm sure the pace will be changing dramatically!  I've read such great volumes--all could be commented on but I'll spare you.

Tracy Kidder, however, deserves special accolades.  The first book I read of his several years ago, Mountains Beyond Mountains, should be required reading for everyone. (That's a hint.  If you've not read it, put it in your line-up!)

This year, I read My Detachment (unusually, a personal memoir from the Viet Nam war), and Among SchoolChildren (a great story of public education in America)--both excellent.

I just completed Strength in What Remains--an incredible story of Deo, a survivor of the Burundi genocide that miraculously ends up in NYC with $200 in his pocket, knowing no one, & understanding no English.  A former medical student in Africa becomes a homeless person in America--with a mission to return to med school.  An honest, haunting & inspiring story--and told so well by one of my all-time favorite authors.  We are all richer from his writing--and the people who's stories he chooses to tell.

No comments: