Saturday, December 31, 2011

Adventures in the Library

Okay--time for a couple of year-end wrap-up's. One is my list of 'finished' in the book queue. I must think I'm going to see some pattern or have an 'ah ha' moment when I browse back through the stacks. Can't say that happens, but it's fun to look.
Anyway--happy to say the library continues to call my name regularly & I've added over sixty titles to the 'read' list this year with little effort. I hit some of the first half highlights in July, so here's some more.

With my 'commute' time I've continued to enjoy books-on-tape--which is really books-on-disc these days! Helps me feel good about car time & definitely better than late night radio reception in our island world.
Got through 16 this year--including all three of the Girl With the Dragon Tattoo books--before the film frenzy began or I might not have ventured in. I know there are mixed feelings about this trilogy--especially as it pertains to women--but once I got past the beginning (hard), I was immersed. Salander is my hero--such a survivor. (I have mixed feelings about seeing the new movie, despite loving Daniel Craig. There are some things I wonder aren't best left in the mind's eye vs. splattered across the big screen. If you go see it, I welcome any opinions.)

I've continued my fascination with memoir, having logged another 16 this year.
By far the most notable is The Chronology of Water by Lidia Yuknavitch. Not a book for the faint of heart--but it's so well written & a right-between-the-eyes woman's book.
Few books make me want to start at the beginning as soon as I finish the last page...
I devoured eight Colin Cotterill books with only one remaining...*dang!*
I especially liked Killed at the Whim of a Hat. He's just great; that's all there is to it...
Added another 2 delightful Erik Larson books to the 'read' list, Thunderstruck I especially liked.
Sprinkled in a variety of historical novels & history for good measure--plus some just plain fun novels.
One of those was a gift from Nick last Christmas, Cloud Atlas by David Mitchell--really an intriguing read--& discovered recently it will Tom Hank's next big screen event. Not sure how they'll translate it to film but it's got me curious...
Stay tuned! But now I gotta run to the library...

2 comments:

Amy said...

Joe and I have been meaning to read Girl With the Dragon Tattoo forever and never did. We did go see the movie though on opening night (not on purpose) and loved it! In fact, a few days later, we watched the Swedish version. Definitely loved the American version more as we both felt more connected to the characters. We both agreed, this was one instance where we were glad we hadn't read the book first because we were completely intrigued with the movie and had no idea what was going to happen. Today Joe and I were out and about and I picked up the book. I am looking forward to reading it and getting all the pieces that aren't in the movies.

Judith said...

That's heartening!--that you would watch the Swedish version and buy the book after seeing it...
beware the Salie/Michael vortex--it won't end until you get through the 3rd one! (I particularly liked the reader on the BOT's--just in case!) Thanks for the scoop...