Saturday, December 31, 2011

Sisyphus Revisited...

The other end-of-year recap is in the UFO category--and shall we just say: not as good as the reading list? Or even: why bother?!
Actually, the list is helpful, if for no other reason than keeping track of what's in there? (as in: what's in that box? What is that item on this list? etc...)
When I take into account all of the items that were finished this year, it feels pretty good--but the majority of those were new items. I keep thinking up more to do...and then there was the show in December...and don't forget a variety of samples for the quilt shop.
Simply put: I haven't been avoiding the quilting loft--but I could be guilty of stepping away from the UFO list.
Looking at the list at the end of the year is also helpful in asking:

  • Do I want to keep this dang thang on the list for another year?! 
  • Is there a way to re-purpose the project into something I want to complete? 
  • Or maybe downsize the project into something nearer completion? (translation: cut your losses & move on...
  • Or maybe let go of the 'art' of the project & finish it up as a community quilt? 

It is a time of winnowing down for sure--and unfortunately, adding other items that now meet the definition of being 'unfinished'.
So here are the 2011 stats: started with 31 on the list & finished a whopping 5 (16%). Wow. *sigh*
For the 2012 list: 18 current items are moving forward, 2 are being "chopped" & 7 are being "moved". 15 new items are being added. Truly a 'Sisyphus list' of 33 items...
A note about 'moved' items: I always have a group of quilts that are fun & usually faster projects that work well for community quilts or something to grab for a quilting-day-out with my buds. Not really a focus for completion as much as ready to go as needed. So they're really not 'chopped'--just side-lined! 8-)
A note about 'new items: in the 'starting the year with a clean slate' department: 2012 will include a new challenge for myself. I haven't quite defined the 'rules' yet, but I definitely like the learning & creativity that come with a more structured focus. I missed that in 2011. More on that later. But in efforts to help myself out, the almost-monthly challenge of 11 items is going on the UFO list!
(...and no, that's not cheating! I thought up the dog-gone project before 2011 was over--so it's already a 'work-in-progress'! See how easy it is to get behind?!)
Wishing you finished 'lists' of your own in the new year!

No comments: