Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Show & Tell...

Here's a guy that's been on the UFO list for way too long!
(...but it's finished--woohoo!)
It started out many years ago as several traditional blocks for some forgotten project. When they went on the design wall at some point, their fish-like qualities became obvious so I had pieced it together with a wonderful mix of water fabrics--and then promptly stashed it away for some other urgent project. 
When I drug it out to finish, it seemed pretty boring. I added the wrong-way-Feldman orange fish & an asymmetrical border (of course!) with some fused sea flowers--and then added some interest with the thread design on the long arm.  I also added the three dimensional sea grass on the long arm--another technique trial that I will definitely revisit in the future. 
In the end I was okay with the mix--and also okay with saving a discarded project. It finished out to a fairly large wall hanging (48" x 31") that unfortunately required Jim to fabricate a special hanging dowel for me! (thanks, Jim!)
Anyway--a woman kept coming back to it at the show & finally bundled it up & took it home with her as a very happy camper! Doesn't get much better than that...

1 comment:

semper fi said...

wow. was the orange fish on top of a former one-way blue one? this is a fantastic piece! xxo, j