Friday, October 10, 2008

Sticky Ideas

Last month, Jim & I went to the Seattle Art Museum and while we were there, of course we stopped in to the museum store. We both laughed when we met at the cashier with some of these in our hand--aren't they wild?! They're African porcupine quills--and no, the pricklers aren't harmed to get them, they are gathered after the animal sheds them. I tossed a pencil into the picture to give a perspective on the size--don't think I would want to cross paths with one of these guys on the move; they obviously are much bigger than the American version (these can get up to 60 lbs)--and these are so sharp! That being said, as soon as I saw them I started thinking of ways to use them--how about you? Any ideas? I have some peace scrolls that I'm making that are just a perfect width to use these as a hanger. Beyond that, I'll still be imagining some other applications--as will Jim with his pile!

P.S. ...and what were we seeing at SAM, you ask? I'll go for ANY impressionist exhibit, and was again thrilled with this one; the bonus was essentially a second side-by-side exhibit of the many artists predating the impressionists that obviously influenced their techniques & styles. Fascinating to realize how much impact the pre-impressionist artist(s) had on what was seen as such innovative work. Quite fun. So fun in fact, that I couldn't resist the wonderful companion book to the exhibit that was on sale for 1/2 price as the end of the exhibit was looming. What a score!

No comments: