Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Quilting Day Out

I mentioned that last week I went to my friend's longarm quilting studio for the day. What fun that was! Talk about challenging the ol' hand-eye coordination & feeling all thumbs initially--whew!
But actually, after some time 'practicing' in the morning, I finished three of my UFO's by the end of the afternoon. The quilting is nothing exciting, but it looks OK (better than I expected, truthfully) & it really is a blast to do! Practice will definitely improve my skill--I have a long way to go!



Just a quick note on the three items here:
The wild colored (& black) patchwork quilt is a community quilt; it's bright & happy and hopefully will find a good home soon!
The flamingo is for a good friend who really is flamingo fan. It's a wall hanging that will hopefully find a cheery spot in her office or house.
The third lap quilt actually has become one I like--but it didn't start out that way. I taught a couple of sessions on how to do this technique--by request, after I made Devin's graduation quilt. I just took a bunch of I'm-not-really-wild-about-it scraps out of my stash to use for demonstration & then ended up with a bunch of blocks that were finished, or nearly so. Can't toss 'em, right? So I ended up making more to finish out & by the time I got the border on, it had grown on me.

I'm going back this week for another day--mostly so I don't forget what I learned, and keep on practicing. And I have plenty of UFO's to get checked off my list!

1 comment:

JB said...

The last one is "Owed to Milo"

kitties!!